Friday, January 11, 2013

Bag Box - How to Make One

My sister stayed over with me for a week after new years and helped me with my "nesting." (That's what she calls it.) Personally, I think I over-organize and change things around even when I'm not 8 months pregnant! I blame my mother for the urge but I also thank her for it since I very much enjoy finding the perfect place to store things or the perfect way to do it.

For quite awhile the "bag of bags" where I stored all my plastic bags was driving me crazy. It took up almost an entire shelf in my pantry and looked messy. While visiting my parents my Mother showed me some of her ideas for the house they are building and a "bag box" was something she wanted.
It inspired me to make one of my own. So, with my sisters help, I made one! It only took 15 minutes and here is how we did it:


We used: 
Wrapping paper (green, since that's the colour in my kitchen)
Cardboard box (I used a small one)
Packaging tape
Regular tape
A knife (we would have rather used an x-acto knife but we didn't have one on hand)
Scissors
A permanent marker
A container lid (a circle big enough to make a hole to fit your hand through)

First we traced the container lid on the side of the box with the permanent marker.
 Then we cut out the circle with the knife.

 Next, we wrapped the box like you would any gift. (Making a mark on the paper where the hole in the box was underneath the wrapping paper)
 We took the scissors and cut through where the hole was underneath, cutting it like a pie. Making sure to go right to the edge of the circle but no father.


 We took pieces of packaging tape and placed them over the cut tabs, re-cutting them again so that they were reenforced by the tape and didn't rip easily.
We bent in the tabs and taped them to the inside of the box using pieces of regular tape.
All that was left was to fold and place the plastic bags inside the box and, voila! My bag box! I love it and it takes up 1/3 of the space my "bag of bags" did.

Thanks to my sister for helping :)

6 comments:

  1. Oooh I love this idea! I need to do this. My 'bag of bags' has pretty much become a 'cupboard of bags' at this point. Pinning this one for later ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! I am so happy with it! I don't even have to hide it in the cupboard because it looks pretty ^_^ It's also amazing how much fits in there when the bags are folded.

      Delete
  2. (Putting response here, just in case. I always miss comment replies :P) That definitely makes sense, I find associating writing with a certain place is very helpful for me as well. Mine is sort of the opposite, though! What I'm trying to do now that I have a desk is to just use it for writing - otherwise I can bring my laptop to the livingroom and set it on the coffee table. I want to print out some of my favourite inspirational quotes and put them on the wall - sadly, I don't have a printer! And I hope you can get one soon ^^ You should go to Ikea! My desk and chair together was only about fifty dollars, which is pretty good :) Take care <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Printing out quotes is a good idea. I sort of did something similar a few years ago, only with inspirational pictures from Deviantarrt.com. I had a whole wall of them.
      The problem with getting a desk is that Stuart and I don't have the space. We do have one desk for his computer but there's no other space on it. And the rest of our apartment has a bunch of bookcases. Literately ALL the space around the walls is used.

      Delete
    2. Urgh! That is frustrating and prone to happen in a small apartment. The only reason we have room for my desk is because at this point we only have ONE bookshelf. Jordan's ridiculous DVD collection, not to mention all of our books, are absolutely everywhere -_- My grandparents recently moved to a nursing home so hopefully we'll be getting one of their bookshelves. Jordan's desk is actually our dining room table, LOL. Oh well. Just the two of us, we tend to just eat in the kitchen, on the couch, whatever.

      Will you guys be getting a house at some point soon? ^^ How I cannot wait to have a house! I love my apartment but more space and such is always nice.

      Yeah, I want to do various inspiration-things. I find it pretty helpful! I kind of want to order DeviantArt prints, they can be crazy pricey though :O

      Delete
  3. If/when Stuart and I get a house we will probably buy one out in the country which would mean buying a car :P (Lots of money there....) We most likely will move to a two bedroom apartment within a year or so. Stuart has only one semester of school left (next fall) after that we'll decide what we want to do.

    ReplyDelete